How To Become an Independent Travel Agent – New To Travel ?
Today, there are a plethora of options for anyone looking to become an independent travel agent.
The most important area to consider is experience. If you have no experience selling travel before then it is imperative that you join a solution that offers excellent training and support. Some, consortiums do offer an Academy and we would advise that you research into all the different options.
When looking into making a choice for an Academy you should check the following:
- How long has the Academy been running for?
- How many pupils have been taught by the Academy?
- Ask if you can speak to someone who has been through the Academy?
- Are you offered an opportunity to work for the company after graduating?
- Are you locked in to working for that company for any length of time?
- Ask prices. If it is expensive ask why it is expensive – there may be good reason.
(This list is not exhaustive just purely a guide to help you)
The other option we would strongly recommend is applying for a job with an online travel agent or high street travel agent. Working with experienced colleagues is undoubtedly the best way to learn any trade.
To become a great travel agent you need to be incredibly knowledgeable and this knowledge can only truly be accomplished through experience. You can learn through research and reading about venues and destinations, there are also many online courses offered by suppliers and tourist boards. However, the best knowledge is absolutely gained through your peers and colleagues, in our opinion.
Before you do any of the above we would advise you speak to as many travel professionals as you can. Working in travel sounds glamorous, and it can be, but actually it is incredibly hard work. You must have a passion for travel – it is this very passion that makes incredible travel agents.
How To Become an Independent Travel Agent – With Experience?
Once you have a couple of years, at least, of experience working within travel then you could look to become independent. It is at this point the new PTS solution for independent travel agents and homeworkers would be open to you.
Again, at this point in your career there are many choices available to you. There are a range of consortiums or travel agencies looking for homeworkers and this may fit the bill for you. You may not be quite ready to be completely independent and this is absolutely ok.
Consortiums offer all different deals – laptops, telephones, internet, marketing material, some consortiums even feed you the leads and take care of all the marketing, others ask you to market yourself and build your own client base.
All of these differences are incredibly important for you to pay attention to so that you can choose the correct solution for you.
In general terms, the more support that is given the higher the commission split – this isn’t always the case but it is the norm.
It is quite normal for consortiums to take approx. 40% of your profit and also only allow you to sell from their database. This can be very limiting for very experienced travel agents.
PTS has developed a solution that is driven by new bespoke technology. All PTS members are completely independent.
The Benefits of Being a Travel Agent with PTS
- 100% financial protection for your customers with the PTS trust account giving clients complete consumer protection in accordance with Package Travel Regulations
- Your own ATOL allowing you the ability to dynamic package
- Your own Credit card facilities
- The ability to add your own suppliers as well as use our data base of supplier partners
- Help & Support with the legalities of running your own travel business
- Our very own cloud based technology, back office, reconciliation & accountancy all within one system
- Ability to control your own profit margins enabling you to price competitively
- Ability to market as you wish with your own brand & name
- The freedom to run your business in the most profitable manner, you will retain 100% of your profit and purely pay nominal transaction fees
- Run your own business from home, office or anywhere around the world – cloud based technology, working hours to suit you.
The PTS Solution is only available to highly experienced travel agents. This solution is built to enable experienced travel agents to build successful travel businesses and be the masters of their own success. We offer the only solution that gives you complete freedom and allows you to keep 100% of your commission.
As you can see, there are many routes one can take to become an independent travel agent and research to find the correct solution is absolutely key to your future success.
If you’d like to discuss this further, please get in contact with one of Protected Trust Services’ (PTS) lovely staff members by calling 0207 190 9988. Or, you can visit our member support and travel trust account pages to learn more about how we protect you.